- Initial Occurrence of ASF in North Korea
Initial Occurrence of ASF in North Korea
Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (Minister Gae-ho Lee, hereafter MAFRA) announced that on May 30, 2019, North Korea reported World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) the initial case of ASF.
According to OIE report, the situation in North Korea is as follows.
○ There has been 1 case of occurrence in North Korea that has been reported on May 23, 2019 in Buksang Cooperative Farm in Usi-gun, Jagang-do, which has been confirmed on May 25.
○ In the farm, 77 out of 99 pigs died of ASF, and 22 were stamped out.
○ Also, it reported that North Korea took preventive measures such as transportation restriction, monitoring of controlled and protected areas, treatment of carcass and byproducts, stamping out and disinfection.
At 8am on May 31, 2019 (Friday), MAFRA held an emergency situation meeting with the Deputy Minister to review current quarantine situation on borders and announced its plans to take necessary measures for prevention.
○ Also, from 2pm on May 31, 2019 (Friday), an emergency meeting of related agencies such as the Ministry of Unification, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of National Defense, Ministry of Public Administration and Safety, Gyeonggido Office and Gangwondo Office was held by the director of the Food Industry Policy Office to share information and discuss on cooperative measures.